The rising violent crime rate over the past two years is a pressing issue that requires immediate action. While many have blamed the criminal justice reform movement for the rise in violent crime, these increases can largely be attributed to an alarming escalation in gun violence. If elected officials are serious about stopping violent crime, they need to prioritize and support stronger gun laws at both the state and federal levels.
This fact sheet provides data that show the link between states' actions to weaken their gun laws and rising violent crime rates.
- Published by
- Center for American Progress
- Issue areas
- Crime and Safety
- Document type
- North America / United States
- Copyright 2022 by Center for American Progress. All rights reserved.
- What to read next
- Black Homicide Victimization in the U.S.
- Building an Evidence-Base for Gun Violence Prevention: Research and Data Needs
- Preventing Gun Violence
- Linked data add horizontal_rule