From 2010 to 2014, our state suffered an average of 389 gun-related deaths per year—more than one death per day. In addition, 533 Minnesotans per year were the victims of non-fatal shootings that often cause debilitating, life-long injuries. 1 That's a total of 922 firearm deaths and injuries every year in our state.
When we lose family, friends, or neighbors to gun violence, we feel tremendous pain. When we hear about an innocent bystander who will never walk again because of a stray bullet, we are rightly outraged. But gun violence doesn't just shake us emotionally and morally—it also imposes enormous financial costs and generates vicious cycles of fear and flight that damage our economy.
The Economic Cost of Gun Violence in Minnesota: A Business Case for Action documents the staggering economic price that Minnesotans pay each year on account of gun violence. Immediately after a trigger is pulled, the bills begin to pile up: healthcare costs to repair shattered limbs and punctured organs, law enforcement and criminal justice expenses to investigate violent gun crimes and incarcerate offenders, costs incurred by businesses to cover for seriously injured or dead employees, and lost employee wages.
- Issue areas
- Crime and Safety
- Document type
- Copyright 2016 Americans for Responsible Solutions Foundation. All rights reserved.
- What to read next
- Assault Weapons, Mass Shootings, and Options for Lawmakers
- Gun Violence in the Great Lakes States
- Preventing Firearm Suicide Among White Men Who Own Firearms in Greater Minnesota: Findings from Interviews with Firearm Owners and National Messaging Experts
- Linked data add horizontal_rule
This web page is marked up with Schema.org microdata and formatted for machine-reading. Here's why that matters. Have a peek at what a machine sees here.
- The Economic Cost of Gun Violence in Minnesota: A Business Case for Action
- Publication date
- Publication year
- Copyright holder(s)
- Americans for Responsible Solutions Foundation, Minnesota Coalition for Common Sense
- Geographical focus
- North America / United States (Midwestern) / Minnesota
- gun, minnesota, costs, background checks, see note
- Document type
- Resource provided by
- Issue Lab