On Wednesday, October 25, 2023, Army reservist Robert Card entered a local bar and a bowling alley in Lewiston, Maine. Equipped with a Ruger SFAR assault rifle, he killed 18 victims and wounded 13 others before taking his own life. Days after the attack he was found dead, the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
This backgrounder offers information on the Ruger SFAR assault rifle and other assault weapons manufactured by the company, additional mass shootings that have been committed with Ruger firearms (including foreign civilian mass shootings), firearm production data, voluntary "safety alerts" warning of defects in specific Ruger firearms, the company's financial support of the National Rifle Association, and links to its social media outlets.
- Published by
- Violence Policy Center
- Issue areas
- Crime and Safety
- Document type
- North America / United States
- North America / United States (Northeastern) / Maine / Androscoggin County / Lewiston
- Copyright 2023 by Violence Policy Center. All rights reserved.
- What to read next
- Commonsense Solutions: State Laws to Address Gun Violence Against Women
- Fact Sheet: Weak Gun Laws Are Driving Increases in Violent Crime
- Rethinking Law Enforcement Responses to Guns and Gun Violence: Elevating Alternatives to Traditional Enforcement Approaches
- Linked data add horizontal_rule